R U OK? Day
R U OK? Day Origin
In 1995, much-loved Barry Larkin was far from ok. His suicide left family and friends in deep grief and with endless questions.
In 2009, his son Gavin Larkin chose to champion just one question to honour his father and to try and protect other families from the pain his endured.
“Are you OK?”
To genuinely change behaviour Australia-wide, a national campaign was needed. And from this realisation, and with Gavin’s expertise and passion, R U OK? was born.
Gavin remained a passionate champion of the fact a conversation could change a life, even as cancer ended his in 2011. His legacy is a national Conversation Movement that is equipping Australians with the skills and confidence to support those struggling with life.
R U OK? Day Vision
R U OK?’s vision is a world where we’re all connected and are protected from suicide.
Their mission is to inspire and empower everyone to meaningfully connect with people around them and support anyone struggling with life.
Their goals are to:
- Boost our confidence to meaningfully connect and ask about life’s ups and downs
- Nurture our sense of responsibility to regularly connect and support others
- Strengthen our sense of belonging because we know people are there for us
- Be relevant, strong and dynamic
Where To Find Help
- 13 11 14
- Beyond Blue
- 1300 224 636
- Suicide Call Back Service
- 1300 659 467
- Kids Help Line
- 1800 551 800
To Learn More Visit https://www.ruok.org.au/